So finally it happened. I thought it was a myth. I got a bill for downloading video material on the Internet. The worst part is I was not even aware of downloading it.
But when you got a twelve page file written in german, under your girlfriend’s name telling you that the original cost by law would be 1500€ but they will be benevolent and charge only 515€ if you pay immediately, well, then I guess you pay. At least that was what I did. In order to get rid of the fear and as a fair price for all the free video watching I have been practicing for years now. One of the problems in Europe is how hard is to do things legal. I pay a lot of things but there are a lot that I did not pay. So here I am , almost 600€ poorer. I have been on vacation for this money. I could go to el Celler the Can Roca and invite Andrea and I could still tip for that money. A big waste.
Some ideas that occurred to me:
– If you plan to live in Germany , uninstall utorrent. Utorrent is the software that I used the fewer in my life and finally turned to be more expensive.
– Check how the new app for Cuevana works. I am under the impression that Cuevana downloaded something – instead of just streaming it- since it looks like it uses a P2P system in its desktop version.
– Think twice about downloading. I even think twice about streaming. I mean I know it is illegal. I don’t know if they can fine you for doing it.
– Save money for surprises. This is the first time in my life that I felt clearly that your whole life go into instability if you go short on money or if you are just not ready for eventualities.
– Get a legal advisor. A problem in Germany for me is that I had nobody to ask. In Barcelona I have some friends who I could ask and they would not be bothered or would ask for money. In Germany I did not. Sure Andrea offered to ask but then you need somebody to take care of it; in a way I find it important to be legally independent.
– Forget about guilt. It is weird because I felt I kind of deserved the fine. This is another reason why I did not fight. It is a weird feeling. Maybe I am mixing up things in my head and since I am somebody lazy and self-indulgent with carbs I decide I had to be punished? I need to go and visit my therapist.
– Be conscious. I don’t remember downloading nothing. I don’t know the law in Germany. I did not know how much money there was left in my account. I did not know who to ask when it comes to difficult matters. Basically I moved to Germany and I had the attitude of a twelve years old kid. I am not a rigid person, and this is an understatement but adult life is that. Get a bit of a grip on it.